The NSWKBA is a non profit organization run by NSW volunteers with a love of kiting, with the aim of making kitesurfing more FUN and SAFE in NSW.
We are affiliated with the Australian Kite Surfing Association (AKSA)
. All NSW kiteboarders who are members of AKSA are automatically members of NSWKBA and vice versa.
We want to link up the "locals" throughout the state and get a good community feeling amongst kiters, with a focus on enjoying the sport safely, rather than getting all concerned about what equipment to use.
We plan to do this by:
- Getting in contact with NSW kiters, finding out where they kite and what they would like the organization to do for them, it might be help with approaching the local council, help setting up a local club, or help running a comp.
- Listing the approved kite schools and instructors within NSW so learners can find them easily, and also list "beginner friendly" contacts in each area to make learning easier and safer.
- Running social get togethers and comps/BBQs.
- Listing local area info showing where to kite and where to avoid, based on local info.
- Helping run the state titles to allow the states best kiters be recognized and advance to the nationals.
- Promote safe kiteboarding practices
- Strengthen the NSW kiteboarding community
- Organize and sanction competitions to allow ranking of states top riders
- Develop local clubs and provide them with resources, this has happened in Newcastle, Wollongong, South Sydney, Canberra, and North Sydney
- Encourage social events for kiters, Beach BBQs, downwinders etc
- Provide useful information on www.nswkba.com.au-Work with local government to ensure access to beaches
- Work with lifesavers/waterways/coastguard to improve emergency procedures
- Promote youth and women’s kiteboarding development
Benefits of NSWKBA Membership
- Australia-wide $10M public liability insurance policy
- AKSA Membership card and harness tag to identify membership and insurance coverage, required by Councils to kite at several Australian beaches
- Access to state and national competitions (all NSWKBA and AKSA events require all individuals entering to hold AKSA-sanctioned insurance coverage)
- Regular newsletters detailing local events and safety alerts
- A point of contact for any inquiries by local council etc
- Up to date information on www.nswkba.com.au including Local Kite Spots, Competition and Event info, where to get lessons etc.
- Kite Buddies system to put you in touch with other kiters, so you don’t have to learn/kite on your own
- Political and lobbying representation of the sport at State, National and International levels